Why E-books over Paper books?
There’s been a shift in the production and use of printed books to electronic books (E-Books) over the years. This of course is attributed to advancement in technology and the increased need to digitize most things around us as this action is considered more sustainable. Some people are onboard already while some are still trying to catch up. As technology continues to advance, there’d be a need to continuously reorient ourselves and particularly our children to meet up with these trends. In fact, I think the younger generation are ahead in this game.
Although a lot of people still find it hard investing in E-Books over printed books, in this article, I will shed more light on why E-books are gradually becoming preferred over Paper books:
- E-books are cheaper! The cost of printing and shipping printed books by far outweighs the cost of producing and transferring E-books to readers. Therefore, if you are looking to save cost on book purchase for yourselves or your kids, you should begin to focus on the Ebook options.
- E-books are available on the go! Since we already take our phones or devices almost any way with us, having digital or E-books makes it easier to read whatever, where ever we find ourselves. Like in an office lobby, at the doctors’, in the car..just anywhere without having to always remember to take the actual book with us.
- E-books allow for a variety of reading options anywhere anytime! Imagine taking a printed copy of “The Masterpiece” by Francine Rivers along with you in the morning, hoping to cover some pages during recess but then realizing hours later that you’d rather read “Becoming” by Michelle Obama? In this situation, an E-book makes it easy to access your library for options.
- E-Books provide read aloud or voice over opportunities! The Rubies Africa app has the voice-over option on over 25 short stories and poems for readers of all ages. This audible or read aloud option allows a lot of busy professionals and parents to still “read” while they drive, or even do chores. The voice-over option on the Rubies Africa app keeps kids engaged while their parents attend to other needs around the house. Paper books won’t give you that luxury.
- E-Books can be easily stored and moved around! I had to relocate some years ago, and some of the things I had to leave behind were hard copy books I had invested in over the years. If these books were E-Books, I will still have them with me and there wouldn’t be a need to repurchase some of them.
- E-Books allow for easy updates! This is an advantage for authors. Imagine printing one million copies of a book and then realizing several errors in-spite of thorough editing work done? Well, most E-Books allow for easy updates and corrections.
- E-Books content can be easily shared! A lot of E-books allow for contents to be easily shared, either through copy-paste, screengrabs, and exports.
- E-Books can easily serve as pass down assets! There are books you may be reading or have read in the past that you hoped you could pass them down to your kids when they are older; If the majority of your collections are E-Books, all you’d probably need to do is hand them a username and password to access your collections.
- Lastly, E-books neither wear nor tear!